Hello everyone.
So today, I was in my office just reading over some things. Alastor was off at all the cities that had power failures, looking for a cause of it. Wedge and Arthur were moving things from Arthur's place to here, and having dinner together at that ...Thai? Indian? Eh, doesn't matter... place that they used to love (the food there is quite excellent, actually; Alastor and I enjoy it whenever we go as a group). Technically I was on call for all of Nine, but since things rarely happen I stayed in my office and focused on being the on call Doctor.
Then I get a call from Sultan, who is posted in Asia. He and Ramah had been working in a uranium mine, and a machine collapsed while they were preventing a critical mass explosion. He was bringing Ramah in who was seriously wounded - he had been exposed to high levels of beta and gamma radiation and the large machine had fallen on him, aputating his left leg. They were at least 20 minutes out, and Ramah was still bleeding a lot.
I sprang to action and got the gear ready in the medical recieving bay, taking it to the Port. I activated the surgery and got some medications ready. I called Wedge in - she was a skilled surgery nurse and helped me out a lot when I needed it - and I could tell I would be needing it. Then, as quickly as I had gotten the message, the incoming traveller alert rang through the complex.
He was in a bad way, the majority of the leg had been severed. Sultan dragged him out of the shuttle and carried the leg behind him in a bag with stasis gel. I took him to the surgery and anesthetized him. Wedge arrived at this moment, and looked after him while I scrubbed up. Can't say too much about what we actually did, but it was quite intricate. I had to align all of the blood vessels, nerves and such in the severed limb to the stump while Wedge covered the join with Revital. I had to stitch together certain parts to keep them aligned properly for the Revital to work correctly. Surprizingly, he only needed two blood transfusions after all that bleeding.
After hours of work, and Wedge stepping out to put Sultan in a bed to treat for shock, we were finished. Wedge took Ramah to post-op while I cleaned up. He should be fine in a few days, but I'm admitting him into recovery for six just to be sure. I'm really tired now - that really took it out of me. I think I'll leave the Lab and bid the others goodnight. Try to sleep a little, perhaps.
We're lucky to have you.
ReplyDeleteYou really did look like you were in need of a good rest - have you?