Thursday, 31 May 2012

Induction

Arthur's induction went well. After he woke up of course - he did faint at the sight of me and Alastor. Wedge didn't show him her natural form until later on, once he had absorbed the fact that there were what he called 'anthropomorphised tigers' running the secret organisation underneath England. We had to correct him that it was actually the entire world, and not just tigers. Originally, well by that I mean before the war, there was a great variety of us. But predominantly tigers and wolves were used as the base of the genetic testing since it was their brain patterns that most resembled those creating them. And dolphins, but they were abandoned early on because of their marine habitat...but I'm getting sidetracked.

He seemed amazed at the storage warehouse, and at the underground transport network we have. The Port is both national and international - but as we said to Arthur, international underground connections only run between the Sectors.

I took him in for his neuroscan, and that completed fairly nicely. He seemed actually enthusiastic to become Bicorporal like us...and he kept asking us if we were joking or if he was in some comedy movie. I'm glad he was excited. The computer took a few hours to find the right match for him, and I had to explain that he will have to 'grow into' his new body - that the body would be only 10 weeks old. I can't accelerate the growth artificially beyond that point, because the body needs to be physically conditioned to grow properly. He watched the options that it ran through for a while - the computer uses the information it has to narrow down the search to a single body from a wide range of species available depending on the most appropriate DNA sequence to match Arthur and to produce a brain that would be most able to contain Arthur's mind. But as I said, he will need to grow into it and allow for the right neural pathways to form.

His new body was Canine. An image that was a prediction of the outcome for that particular gene sequence was generated, and Arthur loved it. I'm glad he did - but it did surprise us a little. We thought it looked too scary and 'evil' for someone who worked here on our side of the divide - but Wedge pointed out how handy it would be. And I guess she's right, black and white aren't inherantly good and bad - the values are arbitrarily assigned to the tones. Simply, light is the presence of photons and darkness is the absence. I forget sometimes, considering what we have to deal with all the time.

So yes, Arthur is now a canine. We felines won't hold it against him. Alastor doesn't really care - teeth, claws, tail - it's all the same. His genetically altered body is that of a large black wolf, with strategically placed muscles for exeptional phsyical abilities. He also will have a large mane that runs down his neck, starting on his forehead and finishing near his shoulders. Gives the appearance of a hyena in my opinion at certain angles. He was a cute puppy however.
Crazy thing was though - his eyes can change colour. I don't know how exactly - but they definitely changed colour. One moment they were a bright piercing yellow/orange, the next they were a light blue.

Wedge has taken him into the TDAR for two year's training. Wedge will be with him for one year, and he will be on his own for the other. For us, it will only be about 2 weeks, so he'll be gone for a fortnight. But he might come back an entirely different person. Two years was the minimum I could have him conditioning the new body - it had to grow at a fairly normal rate to develop properly. It's not like we've done it before.

Alastor and I are taking over for now, while Wedge is away. Not much has happened, just looking into the murder cases a little more. Alastor has gone back out along the truck route to try and find any radioactive signatures that might be where the packages were delivered, and I'm just here trying to find a link. The man was killed by a poison, but not one humans could detect, so we removed Methias' mark and returned the body to the local police.

More updates soon no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment